|New propaganda poster from the Second Artillery Corps, the land-based ballistic missile unit of the People’s Liberation Army (via War is Boring).|
– Charlotte Allen takes on the modern dating game, including its neo-Neanderthals. Regression? Lateral movement? A trend that is nothing else if not hilarious.
– Slate answers the question we’ve all been asking ourselves: does Afghanistan have phone books?
– Naval jihad in the Gulf of Aden. Constant exchanges between Yemen and Somalia. Reclaiming the Bab al Mandat Strait for Islam. And it’s much more effective than we thought:
An AQAP-HSM coalition would not have to actually block the 18-mile wide sea corridor…. Instead, all they have to do is conduct some kind of operation that permeates a far greater psychological threat internationally.
– A bit older, but the New Yorker did a piece on “neuro-enhancing drugs” last year that’s absolutely perfect. Dead-on. I think I recognized myself in at least three of the article’s subjects.
– A fascinating overview of how the recession has impacted migration in America. Massachusetts better off than New Hampshire? New York seeing more inflow than Vermont? And the world is upside down.